Thursday, June 23, 2011

How to Lose a Customer




Recently, I attempted to purchase a dress from a maternity store. Before I could give them my money, they required my due date, e-mail, mailing address, phone number and wanted to know if I had other children. I laughed out loud, but the woman’s puckered face quickly showed she wasn’t joking. I explained that I didn’t want to be put on a mailing list and thought it was beyond invasive. She “patiently” explained it was necessary in case of returns.

They lost me forever at that moment. Not only did I give them fake information, but I was extremely offended that the store I was paying would require all this information. I would never go back in there, nor will I ever purchase anything for any of my friends/family again. I also spread the word about this outrageous privacy invasion, which turned off other mothers to be (a.k.a. their customers).

Requiring information from customers only works if they see an overt benefit—something that will make them want to hand over those treasured nuggets of marketing gold. Not only did they ask about my children, but I was in essence paying to be harassed. The only benefits I got were a cute, but probably over-priced, dress and a red face from anger.

That’s the key lesson for marketers and businesses. People are willing to let you into their lives and buying habits, but you need to reward them and slowly dip your toes into that pool. Plus, the bigger the prize, the more you will get from them. No one will give you their life story for a throwaway trinket like a pen or key chain. And the more the customer feels forced to give information, the less likely it will be valid or worth the sales you just lost.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more. I recently tried to replace a pitcher from a Ninja blender (bought at Target). I called the 800 number and before I could find out if they even had one for me to order, they demanded my phone number. They then told me I wasn't in the system and therefore they needed more information. They wanted my name, address, and so on. I told the rep I just wanted to know if the pitcher was something I could order and she proceeded to tell me she couldn't tell me anything until they got all of the required information, and if I didn't have all of the information that I would need to get it and call back later. Needless to say, the base of the blender is now in the garbage and I will NEVER buy another product from this company (I kept the manual because it listed all of the products manufactured by this group).

    ReplyDelete